Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Reality check

So it's really early in the morning and I have a cold. Can't sleep. I get up and check my facebook account, surf the news sites on the web, surf them again...

I think back to the opening ceremony of the Olympics, the first after 9/11. We were all united in a purpose. We stood on the steps of the Capitol and sang "God Bless America". What a wonderful feeling!

I miss that now.

This last election was brutal and ugly. There is no such thing as "just politics"; words have power. You can't say everything is okay now that the election is over after spending years of dividing one portion of america and pitting it against the other.

Being a staunch Democrican...or is it Republicrat...I really truly was torn on who to vote for. But what I was NOT torn about, what I was absolutely convinced of, was that personal attacks were heinous and wrong. Attacking a candidate's religious beliefs, their ethnicity, their children's belly fat, their "kankles"...no candidate was safe. It was truly nauseating to behold.

But now we're okay, right? Everything is all better because the election is over, right?

Any minute now Rush Limbaugh and Nancy Pelosi are going to embrace on the steps of the capitol in a gesture of conciliation and good will. Harry Reid is no doubt on his way as I write this to shake John McCain's hand and welcome him back to the Senate, eager to work with him on future projects.

We didn't really mean all of those nasty things that we said. We're all better now because we say we are and what we say, even if it doesn't mesh with reality, is reality.

Just ask Wall Street.

No comments: