Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Battle of the Bilge

(disclaimer - not exact dates; the last few weeks all kinda run together, like...well, nevermind.)

Saturday, 4pm
2 yr old loses his lunch all over loveseat and onto the floor. So not feeling the love right now.

Saturday, 6pm
Has moved his "operations" into the living room - the floor, to be precise. And the chair. And a pile of clean laundry.

Sunday, 3pm
2 yr old leaves a trail of vomit down the hallway. Beginning to wonder if, like a dog, he is marking his territory. Tempted to yield it to him.

7pm
9 yr old makes it to the toilet in time. Yay! You go girl!

Monday, 4pm
Couch moved out to the dumpster trailer to be discarded. It was already nastified; this was merely the final straw. Sunroom smelling much better now.

Tuesday thru Saturday - Nothing to report, captain.

Sunday, 2 PM
Sitting next to my 5 yr old playing a game with him, when out of the blue he lets out a burp from the nether most recesses of blackest Mordor. *cough*cough*gag*
15 minutes later he's throwing up on the carpet in the sunroom. Wondering how he managed to swallow so much food without actually chewing any of it ("Oh look, peas!" he exclaims.)

Monday - All is quiet on the western front.

Tuesday, 2 AM (Grand Finale)
11 yr old produces projectile vomit from the top of his bunk bed onto the hardwood floor - walls, dresser fronts, railings, furnace grates, bedding of children from lower down...wishing the Cat in the Hat would show up with his mobile cleaning machine.

3 AM
No such luck. Heinous clean-up (with "help" from 2 yr old) followed by anti-bacterial soap and water scrubbing, followed by full body shellac with hand sanitizer.

9 AM
Currently suffering from post traumatic heebie-jeebies.

=P

7 comments:

Lorie said...

Dude, Liz, it totally sounds like you're all passing around a norovirus. As you have undoubtably guessed, it's very contagious. We recommend thorough cleaning of *all* surfaces within 10 feet of an episode of vomiting. Use bleach. I'm not kidding.

And make everyone wash their hands every hour and after every trip to the toilet and before eating anything.

The bad news? (like you needed any more bad news)... we have almost no long term immunity to noroviruses, so we can get them over and over and over...

Seriously. Scrub every inch of your house with a disinfectant. In cold weather, noroviruses can survive up to 30 days on surfaces.

Here, we just tell people to turn off the AC and open the windows, but I doubt that's an option for you folks, neh?

I hope you all feel better soon. I'll send plenty virtual chicken soup.

Aloha

Daydreams and Reality said...

Okay..I hate to admit it..but this made me laugh...great descriptions, but having been through all of that with my own four (albeit years ago) I KNOW what you've been through!! Hang in there..this too shall pass..including the un-chewed food recyled!! I miss seeing you!!

Wu Ai Bao said...

I think I remember living through a similar scenario. Only Aunt Tammie's kids were visiting so mom had a lot more kids to accomodate. I remember there were a lot of bodies in the front living room.

Liz said...

Lbelle - Actually, you gave us a good idea. We cranked the heat way up! Which is just as well, as I'm freezing today. Maybe that will help kill the buggers.

Debbie - I'm totally laughing my head off right now. I didn't realize this was THE Debbie whom I love and miss! I just thought, hey, some nice lady named Debbie likes my blog! DUH! Feel free to laugh heartily at my expense...=P

Wu Ai Bao - Yeah, I remember that. *shudder*

Lorie said...

Remember Liz? When everyone was sick at my house? We called it "Joe's illness", cuz he gave it to Brian who gave it to Kim, who generously shared it with all the rest of my children and my sister's visiting brood....

My sister was about 7 months pregnant and had to drive back to CA the day after the barf-a-thon. I think she'd been home for less than an hour when she succumbed... and probably spread "joe's disease" with all of northern CA.

But I'm not kidding. You need to bleach your house.

Lorie said...

Incidently, I still feel bad about making Kim do kitchen work when she was sick. I thought she was malingering, until Janae and Amber and Robert all started up...

I think April and I were the only ones who went to church that day.

Liz said...

Yeah okay, mom, I'll bleach the @#$% house! Criminetly Nutzy!
We already Lysoled every exposed surface, including our lungs, and bleached the toothbrushes and...
Oh well, you get the picture.
Alooooha!