Friday, March 13, 2009

Kentucky Fried Paulins

Saturday, Lunchtime:

We were only supposed to have ham sandwiches for lunch; nothing big, or so Aunt Adele claimed. What we had in reality was a scrumptious, home baked gargantuan ham, almost too big to fit in the oven, roasted to perfection. We did slice it and made sandwiches, but that's not all we had. She also baked a lovely pound cake with a delectable, crumbly melt-in-your-mouth crust. To top it off she threw in homemade baked beans, some chips and dip and a heaping bowl of grapes, lest we were still hungry.

Saturday, Dinnertime:

We go to the local Fish Fry restaurant to partake of their famous catfish and hushpuppies. Everything was battered and fried (I suspect even the water was.) We had all the catfish and hushpuppies we could eat, in addition to heaping bowls of wonderful house coleslaw. I think I may have detected some cabbage particles in the coleslaw, but of course I can't be sure.

Sunday, Lunchtime:

We eat at Grandma Rhodes' house. She makes awesome fried chicken, like my Grandpa used to make. I'd heard somewhere his secret was he reused the same oil over and over. I'm tempted to ask if she used old crusty oil but decide that might not be wise. We had crowder peas from her garden - SO good! She had baked a lemon cake, made with fresh lemons, and pecan pie, made with fresh pecans from a tree in the yard. I'm beginning to believe she truly did walk uphill in the snow both ways to go to school.

Sunday, Dinnertime:

We have our first taste of southern diet food: GRILLED burgers and hot dogs (not fried).

*burp*

(excuse me)

2 comments:

Wu Ai Bao said...

Why are you in Kentucky?

Liz said...

Welll....actually, we were in Mississippi. Unfortunately, there is no Mississippi Fried Chicken franchise, so I did my best. Sorry if I confused y'all.